Expert Discusses Promise of CRS-207 Vaccine in Mesothelioma

Excerpt:

“The investigational cancer vaccine CRS-207 may improve response and survival when given with chemotherapy in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) according to results of a phase Ib trial.

“CRS-207, a live-attenuated, double-deleted Listeria monocytogene engineered to express the tumor-associated antigen mesothelin, was administered with chemotherapy to 38 patients with MPM. Of 34 evaluable patients, 59% (n = 20) had partial response posttreatment and 35% (n = 12) had stable disease, for an overall disease-control rate 94%. Median progression-free survival was 8.5 months and median overall survival had not been reached.

“Immunohistochemistry data from 3 patients revealed an increase in tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) post–CRS-207. Treatment-associated changes in circulating immune cells and biomarkers were also observed.”

Go to full article.

Do you have questions about this story? Let us know in a comment below. If you’re wondering whether this story applies to your own cancer case or a loved one’s, we invite you to use our Ask Cancer Commons service.